Thursday, January 8, 2015

2014 Book List

My one goal for 2014 was to read more. In 2013, I read 4 books...all year long. I knew I could do better in 2014, and I did! I decided not to pick a specific list and just read what I wanted as the year progressed, and that actually helped me read more. I didn't feel committed to one specific list, but rather could read whatever I wanted. All in my head, I know, but whatever works :)

I felt pretty accomplished until Laura told me how many books she read! Haha...my little reader friend definitely outdid herself this year! So while I have a LONG way to go to catch up to her, I am still glad I read more books last year than the year before. Baby steps :)


1. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp // review here

2. When Sinners Say I Do by Dave Harvey // original review here // This was a re-read because we were walking through premarital counseling with Sami and Adrian. Definitely a good review!

3. The Antelope in the Living Room by Melanie Shankle // SO FUNNY. This is a light-hearted look at marriage, and I loved how the author shared her personal story. I laughed out loud on more than one occasion while reading this book.

4. The Proverbs 31 Woman by Good Morning Girls // review here

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak // This book was more somber; it is the story of a young German girl during World War II, and it is narrated by Death. I really enjoy historical fiction, and this was a well-written book.

6. Hannah's Hope by Jennifer Saake // This book was probably the infertility book that spoke to me the most; I'm pretty sure I cried from cover to cover. She expressed in words what I have felt throughout our journey, and she offered hope and gospel-centered grace. While I wouldn't encourage all of her advice (i.e. taking a break from church), I appreciated her humility in offering fertility options that she and her husband walked through and committed to Jesus. She wrote in such a tender way that didn't tout right vs. wrong, but instead pushed her readers to seek out the Scripture for answers, always erring on the side of caution. I would very much like to meet her in person someday to give her a hug, and tell her "thank you" for writing this book. Because of her journey, she created Hannah's Prayer Ministries, which is also a great resource for those facing infertility.

7. He Remembers the Barren by Katie Schuermann // Fellow sister in Christ struggling with infertility, if you read no other book, read this one. This book is saturated with the gospel, containing the exact words that those walking the hard road of infertility need to hear. Many of the infertility books I read were written by authors who eventually became biological mothers through varying infertility treatment or a surprise miracle. Their stories/advice/words were no less valuable, but this sweet sister never achieved pregnancy, and yet she writes with such faith and love for our God. She consistently points the reader to the cross, helping you to focus on the beauty and grace of our Savior, instead of your circumstances. It gave me courage and hope that I can {and will} survive this road, even if God chooses to say "no."

8. The Infertility Companion by Sandra L. Glahn // This book was more like a textbook. It contained good medical information on infertility, treatment options, and the emotional realities of this struggle. It was very straightforward and technical, which I actually enjoyed. It was helpful for me to understand the differences in treatment, and to understand at least one Christian organization's bioethical stance on those options. I think it is a great resource that presents good questions for couples to ask/answer as they consider and move forward in varying types of treatment. It was a great springboard for us to do further research on the types of treatment we are considering.

9. When the Cradle is Empty by John and Sylvia Van Regenmorter // This was another good resource on infertility, but probably not my favorite. If you are trying to decide on which infertility book to read, it's not a bad one, but I found others more helpful.

10. Dancing on Barren Land by Lesli A. Westfall // Same as #9

11. Infertility: A Silent Struggle and the God Who Hears by Whitney Cornelison // This book wasn't what I expected; it was a lot shorter and fairly simplistic. But in our struggle with infertility, reading others' stories was still helpful.

12. Best of 999 Reasons to Laugh at Infertility by Infertile Naomi // This book was created from a blog. I would recommend it for those struggling with infertility only if the struggle is not new to you. I think this would have been hard to read if I had read it earlier in our journey. You have to be far enough along in the process {and in a good place} to read, understand, and appreciate the humor. Some time and war wounds will make it easier to laugh. That being said, I did laugh, and it felt good to laugh. Because there are a lot of incredibly ridiculous things about infertility.

13. You and Me Forever by Francis and Lisa Chan // review here

14. The Connected Child by Karyn B. Purvis, David R. Cross, and Wendy Lyons Sunshine

15. 8 Ways to Improve your Photography by Courtney Slazinik // This is a super short e-book, but I still enjoyed it! I follow the author's blog {Click it up a Notch}, and I just think she has a lot of great tips on everyday photography.

16. Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin // This is a great book. I have walked through many of the author's Bible studies, and I absolutely love them. Her format reminds me a lot of BSF, but is a tad less formal. I really respect her approach to studying the Word, and I have the same heart to see women fall in love with the Word and really dig deep. This book is a great resource for those wanting to learn how to become a student of God's Word. Highly recommend.

17. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo // I first read this book in high school, and I really enjoyed it then. When Mike took me to see the play, it made me want to read it again! It's just such a good story. It's long, but so worth the read!

18. Talking to Young Children About Adoption by Mary Watkins and Dr. Susan Fisher MD

----------

I was really glad I read more in 2014. I think I would have read even more if I wasn't also focused on my {30 Before 30} list. I have a number of books lined up and ready for 2015...maybe I can break 20 this year! :)


1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. Maybe I can read less this year and you can read more and we'll be even. I don't think I'll ever read that many books again.

    ReplyDelete